NURS3131 Trends and Professional Issues in Nursing
Guideline for writing the individual assignment (75%)
The purposes of this assessment are to assess students’ ability to analyze nursing practice and
professional issues, healthcare policies issues or information technology in healthcare issues in Hong
Achieved learning outcomes:
1. Examine the factors influencing the future directions of nursing practice.
2. Explain the methods for assuring quality in healthcare by nurses and the healthcare team.
3. Examine the challenges in the professional development of nursing in Hong Kong.
4. Compare and contrast different health system models.
5. Analyze the challenges of reforming Hong Kong’s health system.
6. Discuss nurses as agents of quality improvement.
7. Examine the implications of information technology for practice, research and education.
Choose one assignment topic from the following list:
1. Organ donation
2. Imbalance public and private healthcare system
3. Nursing manpower shortage
Template of the comment sheet:
A. Addressing the topic
B. Critical analysis
C. Integration of research evidence
D. Grammar and presentation
Grade awarded: _______________________
Marker: ______________________________ Date: ______________________
Full and accurate references and referencing according to American Psychological Association
(APA)(6th Ed.) format is required.
For essay assessment criteria, please refer to p.11-12 of the Student Programme Handbook of the
Bachelor of Nursing Programme.
Suggested content of the assignment
– Explore one policy approach which is currently used to address the issue. – Do not introduce any new material in the conclusion. 12 1. According to the University’s policy, assignments without the signed receipt issued by the Assignments should be submitted by 17:00 of the 3 Dec 2021 to the labeled assignment box
– Explain to the reader what you are going to explore about the topic.
– Provide signposts for the readers to look out for and set up an expectation of what can be
– State the main issues raised by the topic.
– Define all significant concepts and keywords; explain briefly what the topic is about.
– Explain how you are structuring the essay.
Body of essay:
– Analyze the barriers and facilitators of the policy approach.
– Make use of the literature that you have found that is relevant, interpret the evidence, and discuss
conflicting evidence if any.
– An in-depth exploration of your chosen issue. Make sure your arguments are supported by
evidence such as examples or references to your reading.
– Describe your position, recommend two feasible and reasonable actions that you feel should be
taken, one of them MUST be related to the use of information technology.
– After the analysis, discuss the implication of the nursing profession on this issue.
– Avoid using too many quotes. Try to make a link between your issue and the literature.
– Use of headings to signpost your discussion may be useful.
– Acknowledge all sources accurately.
– Summarize all the key arguments and conclusions you have come to.
Submission of assignment:
Before submission, please ensure that the following materials are included:
(1) A cover page (Appendix I) (students should use the standardized cover page template);
(2) The written assignment and relevant supporting documents (if any); and
(3) A signed declaration of academic honesty (the receipt) (downloaded from the plagiarism
detection engine VeriGuide).
Policy on written assignments
Veriguide will not be graded. Assignments will be marked only until students provide the
receipt. From the assignment due date and time to the date the receipt is submitted, the
assignment is regarded as a late submission.
2. Text beyond 10% of the word limit will not be assessed.
3. Students found to have committed the offense of plagiarism shall not be allowed to sit for a
Policy on late submission of assignments
located on the 8/F, Esther Lee Building.
The due date should be adhered to and any requests for extension must be made in writing to the
Course Coordinator concerned at least 2 days prior to the due date. Assignments submitted late
without the Course Coordinator’s prior consent will normally be subject to a 10% penalty for each
calendar day that is late. All late submissions should be handed to the staff of the General Office in hard
copy during office hours. Soft copy sent to teaching or administrative staff by email will not be
regarded as having submitted the assignment.
Details should be referred to the policy on “Written Assignments” and “Policy on Late Submission
of Assignments” as stipulated in the Student Programme Handbook (2017-2018) of the Bachelor of
– Explore one policy approach which is currently used to address the issue.
– Do not introduce any new material in the conclusion.
1. According to the University’s policy, assignments without the signed receipt issued by the
Assignments should be submitted by 17:00 of the 3 Dec 2021 to the labeled assignment box
For solution, connect with our online members.